Jul 19, 2010

IrieDiva's Jamaican Chicken Alfredo

Up for a recipe? This is my own spin on a classic Italian recipe. It takes the same amount of time to make as the one that comes in a pouch that you have to boil up (side eyes a certain someone) and rivals that of any restaurant for like a quarter of the price. Actually when I'm done with the recipe I'll try to eyeball how much the dish cost me to make so you'll get an idea. Most Alfredo recipes call for flour and heavy cream. I vetoed that and used some good old whole cream evaporated milk. It was mmm mmm good.

Recipe:


2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut up into bite sized pieces.
2 cups pasta (make sure to get the 100% durum wheat pasta, its healthier)
1 cup broccoli
1 small bell pepper, chopped, i used green
3 cloves minced garlic
1 cup evaporated milk
2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (or of course you could do the evoo...my pocket nuh so strong)
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Boil your pasta as to package specifications, making sure not to overcook. Drain and set aside. In a large skillet heat your oil and sauté your garlic (make sure not to burn!) Season your chicken with parsley, salt and pepper and throw into your garlic.  Cook over medium heat until chicken juices run clear. Throw in your evap milk, parmesan cheese, julienned bell pepper and broccoli. Simmer for a few minutes and then throw your pasta into this mix and simmer on low for just a few mins to allow all your flavours to come together.

Voila! This serves 2 persons. Some people get real impressed when I say I made chicken alfredo for dinner but it really is so easy...easier than making up an old fashioned pot of rice and peas (which my updated version btw is to die for)

I must say that using so much garlic in my cooking is a new thing for me. Garlic smells horrible doesn't it? But I figure if all the chefs on food network swear by it so much there must be something to this garlic thing so I went ahead and gave it a try. It was so wonderful!!!! When you have a mental block against something its a hell of a thing. I was keeping myself from all the garlicky goodness. I'm still not a fan of garlic bread though. That one can stay.

So as for cost...and remember these are Jamaican dollars i'm quoting, the current rate is about $86 - $1

A tray of 4 chicken breasts cost me 519 and i split it into 2 so thats 270 thereabout
A tray of broccoli cost me around 80 and i split it into 2 so thats 40
the tray of bell peppers was about 80 and it has three, i used one
the parm cheese was 220 for the bottle and i have lots more in it
the bag of pasta was about 100 ad i split it into 2

blah...the meal cost about $450 and it served 2 people. I'm sure it would've been even cheaper had I bought my veggies at the market instead of in the supermarket too.......yeah the pasta joint charging me about $1500 for this dish? kick rocks! I got ambiance at home meng!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I'm going to try this one day this week

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's always cheaper if you cook it yourself
    good going

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails