Dec 5, 2010

Christmas Grinch...have a seat!

Sigh...I am so tired of hearing how Christmas isn't the same again and its so commercialized. I've been hearing it since high school. You know why? Because it always was. But before high school, I. Was. A. Child. I didn't know what commercialized was yet. As many people echo, Christmas was fun when we were young. Well...thank your mother. Thank your pa...your gammy...thank whoever held the tradition up in your household so you had a Christmas. Now you're grown and know the harsh reality of what Christmas "really is." Like I was crushed the day I found out my mommy was the tooth fairy. CRUSHED! But, I am excited to sneak money under my baby's pillow in a couple years. Its your turn you grinch! The magic is not gone, its now your turn to make it happen. Make it special for your little cousin, your niece your nephew...your mom, your pa...your gammy who sacrificed her December pension so you could feel Christmas.


Every holiday is this way. Stores are there to make money and they will take every opportunity to do so. In February...we'll be hearing this cry all over again. Mainly from the singles...lets keep it real. It is up to you to make these holidays what you want. I have always loved Christmas for the food, the family time and the pretty lights and crisp air. I have great memories of family coming together, whether on a small scale or on a large one and now that I have my own family I am even more excited about Christmas.

What I hope to pass on to my lil dumplin about Christmas time? I want her to cherish family time. I want her to be grateful for life's mercies, for everything she has and will have, for all her opportunities and disappointments. I want her to use the season to look back on what the year brought and learn the lessons that were lived so she can move forward into a new year that much wiser. But for now, I just want her to be happy in the coming together of her extended family, the sharing, the warmth, the love and of course all the food! This time of year I visit with people who I haven't seen maybe all year long and it warms my heart and these are the things I want to pass on to my munchkin, along with a few new traditions. We'll miss grandma this year but she knows we love her and we'll see her soon!

Before munchkin, I was still not a grinch. I made Christmas about my friends and my family and connected with them. I looked forward to shopping and partying. Christmas is the superbowl of partying! You may not like partying as much as I loved it but whatever you do like, I guarantee you it goes harder this time of year. Get. Into. It. C'mon guys. Find a reason to live, love and laugh and stop bitchin'

!!!

You grinch!

1 comment:

  1. I read this post a few days ago and kept thinking about it as Christmas draws close. I sooooo agree with it. Every time I think that I'm not feeling the Christmas spirit, I think that it's not about me feeling it, it's about me making it feel like Christmas. Thanks for your input. It rang very true to me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails